CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, April 4, 2008

The Closet

It seems that the rain has not stopped since March 1st. Ugh!!! As many of you know Regan and Gizmo (the dog) are TERRIFIED of thunder. So, last night I got Kennedy down and Regan and I got in my bed and were watching the news. Nathan was in the midst of changing clothes when the tornado sirens went off. They test the sirens every Wednesday at noon, so I am used to hearing them. So, I really didn't think anything of them when I heard it last night, but then I realized that it was 9:30 at night. This was the real deal!! So, Nathan ran upstairs and brought Kennedy down and Regan and I headed to the closet under the stairs. That was just such a fun experience with two nervous, sleepy children and two dogs who didn't have a clue. We brought the radio in there with some pillows and blankets (Just as my mom had taught us to do all my life...and we did do MANY a time growing up.). So, the sirens went off and on for about two hours. We were okay. Nothing around us was touched. The tornado hit in Benton and Bryant off of Highway 30. There are a lot of downed power lines/trees. There was some damage at a mobile home park and a car dealership (not Nathan's). Other than that I think that everyone is okay. So, thank you for all of the emails and phone calls. We're all good, and we had a fun closet experience. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad Y'all are OK! I told Cobie we needed to call and check. A friend left Mesquite at 6 last night and finally made it to Hot Springs at 2am!

I always laugh when I remember my parents saw a tornado special wherein people gathered under the bridge of an overpass for hail shelter. Surprisingly, the tornado hopped over the bridge. They then thought this was the thing to do. So, when the sky turned green and sirens went off, we headed to the bridge. CRAZY!!See there are plenty of Hillbillies in Texas too. Love Yall!! Craig"Greg", CoCo, Lauren & Ella

Jayne Wittschen said...

Oh my gosh Ashley! I hadn't heard that yall had a tornado watch...but I dont watch the news either... :) How scary! I'm glad that it didn't hit where you live. I would so freak out if I heard those sirens...Houton doesnt have tornados...just hurricanes and flooding! Not sure which is worse!! :) I guess yall had plenty of time since you were able to get your camera!! haha

The Garners said...

When I heard the sirens I got really nervous. We turned on the news to watch the radar, and I asked Lane 100 times if he thought I should go get the kids out of bed and into the closet under the stairs. I had a blanket and flashlight beside the closet door and the plan was for me to get Alexee & Bogart and Lane to get Rhett (because he's heavier to carry)...thankfully we didn't have to put our plan into action. It was a crazy night though--not much sleep. I'm ready for some sunshine!!!

The Milams said...

I did not even know the storms were in your area until I talked to Leigh Anne on Friday and she told me. Glad you are okay.